Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Chalkboard Table Top

About a month or so before we got married, we started shopping for apartment furniture. We bought some end tables at yardsales and thrift stores and spray painted them all the same cream color. It was a good choice since we didn't know what other furniture we would end up with and wanted a neutral and cohesive look. All of the tables survived the apartment and moved to the house with us. One of the tables in now in between two chairs in our living room. It gets a lot of coaster and drink action, as well as card game action. Some nights we like to sit in our chairs and play a friendly game of cards on it.

It has gotten quite a beating on the top and needed a paint makeover (a paintover maybe?). I thought a chalkboard table top would be a perfect option for keeping score and leaving each other little notes.

Here it goes....this is what the final product looks like....

This is how I made it....

I taped off the edges...to create a border....
 And then I started painting.....

I used Rust-leum's Chalkboard Paint....it has instructions that were written for patient people, which I am not, so I used a hair dryer in between coats and painted a total of three coats.

Once the paint was dry, I peeled off the tape. It didn't work as well as I had hoped and had to touch up the border with cream paint.

 Then I "cured" the chalkboard by rubbing chalk all over it...

Then I wiped it all off...

Then it was ready to go...


This was sooo easy to do and gives us a fun table top to draw and write on. I am really happy with it!!!

2 comments:

  1. omg omg omg this is awesome! I love re-doing furniture and I love anything chalkboard, so I can't believe I never tried to do something like this. It looks awesome - great job!! xox

    Visit Soon!
    Blessings
    Kat
    www.maryanddyer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I can't wait to do this to something. What a fun idea to take score on! It came out beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete