Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

Ribbon Tree

This past weekend, Gabe and I went to Winston Salem, NC with his family to Old Salem where we attended the Candle Tea. Afterwards, we went to dinner at the local K&W and as we were leaving, we saw these cute ribbon trees for sale. A local woman was making them and selling them. We thought they looked pretty simple to make.

So, yesterday evening when my mother in law came over to have dinner with us, she surprised me with all the supplies to make them! How awesome is that!?

I want to share these awesome ribbon trees with you! Check out the final product...

This is how we made them...

You will need...
- One Styrofoam Cone per tree
- Ribbon
- Floral pins or Straight pins
- Mini Strand of lights per tree (we used battery powered LED lights)
- Optional: hot glue gun and star for the top of the tree

Here are our supplies (even though 3 rolls of ribbon are shown, we only used 2/3's of one roll for our two trees)....


We used floral pins to secure the ribbon but straight pins would work too...

First, cut the ribbon into strips, fold each strip in half to make a bubble and pin it to the bottom of the cone to start building the first layer of your tree...

Keep pinning the strips all the way around...

Then, start the next layer, making the strips slighted shorter than the first layer...



Keep adding layers until you have covered the entire cone. You will then need to use one more strip to cover the tip of the cone. I used hot glue to glue it on because I didn't want pins visible at the top...


Lastly, wrap your lights around the tree, starting at the top and working your way down. We used battery powered lights, so we put the battery box under the tree, which doubled as great stand for the tree itself.



Mine found a home in the living room...


I am in LOVE with it! These were so easy to make and barely took us any time to do. Using battery powered lights gives me a lot of flexibility in where I can put it, but regular lights would work just as well. I suggest using mini lights though so that they are relative in size to your mini tree. I think these make adorable decorations and would be great hostess gifts for Christmas parties!

I hope you all have a great week! I am in Boston for work til Wednesday night. REALLY missing my hubby and sweet puppy!!!

1 comment: