Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Stenciled Pitchers and Plates- May Craft Night

We were barely able to squeeze in a craft night this month but we pulled it off last night! We followed this tutorial on how to paint glass pitchers!

Supplies Needed:
  • Stencils or Sihouette and vinyl
  • Glass pitcher or plate to decorate
  • Martha Stewart Multi-Surface Acrylic Paint
  • Rubbing alcohol and cotton balls (to pre-treat the glass)
  • Foam brushes

We each brought in a pitcher or plate to paint and got started by choosing a design on the Silhouette to cut out in vinyl...


We used rubbing alcohol to pretreat the glass before applying the vinyl stencil or painting. Then, we put the vinyl on the pitcher/plate to use as a stencil...



Then, we started painting. We used Martha Stewart Multi-Surface Acrylic Paints and applied with foam brushes.


We found that 2-3 coats worked well and found that peeling off the vinyl while the last coat is drying was best.....for those of us that waited for all coats to dry before peeling, some paint came off with the vinyl.
After removing the vinyl stencils, we touched up with additional paint and used toothpicks to make the edges crisper where paint bled.



In the end, we were all happy with our summer pitchers and plates! 








Happy Friday!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your blog over on the blog train and I am so glad I did! I love it. I am your newest follower :) I would love it if you would stop by and visit my blog sometime too if you have a chance! It's http://www.becomingmartha.com. I have to go look through the rest of yours now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie! This project is great, a girlfriend just a moved into her first apt and this would be an inexpensive way to handmake a gift! Quick question-- do you know if the MS Arylic is waterproof? Just curious if its functional or just really really decorative =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for hosting us, Katie!! I love my pitcher. :)

    ReplyDelete