What you need:
- Canvas (we used 8x10)
- Computer/printer/printer paper
- Regular Gel Medium- we used some by Golden (see picture above)
- Modge Podge
- Foam brush
- Spray bottle filled with water
- Paint (we used black for the edges of the canvas)
- Patience :)
Here's how we did it
1. Print off a photo from you computer- You may want to flip the photo first because it will be placed face down the the canvas, flipping the picture (using regular computer paper- Erin printed on a laser jet printer- not sure if that makes a difference or not!)
2. Using a foam brush, spread an even layer of the gel medium on the canvas
3. Place the printed picture face down on the canvas, rubbing it all over so it connects with the gel medium
4. You should now wait 4 hours to let the gel medium completely dry. We cheated and used a hair drier...but I am sure you will be more successful if you wait. Erin waited originally and her photos transferred better.
5. Once the gel medium is dry, spray water from your spray bottle onto the paper and start to peel it off. You will keep wetting and rubbing off paper for a while, this is where the patience comes in....you will be taking off the paper but the INK will remain on the canvas, leaving your picture!
6. Once you are content with the picture and all white paper is gone, you may want to paint the edges of the canvas black...and then seal it all with a layer of modge podge.
Our final products:
I can't wait to make more of these! I think they will make great gifts!
Also, I must brag about our awesome Shirley Temples with Lime....made by Allie!