One of my closest friends, Sarah, is back with a guest post on an awesome DIY project she just completed! I can't wait to try it out myself!
I am excited to get to do another guest blog post for my dear friend Katie! I hope you will all enjoy it and maybe give this project a shot! I am pregnant with my first child and have been in quite the nesting mode lately! Which is why I have a project to share with you! I have wanted something to hang on a wall behind our kitchen table in our breakfast room when I finally found this idea and had to try it out! I am calling this project canvas verse art…its basically just that!
Ok, so I cannot take all the credit for this because I found the idea from Southern Belle Soul, Mountain Bride Heart.
What you will need for this project:
- A canvas…you can use any size you want!
- Modge podge
- Acrylic paint
- Foam brush and a paintbrush
- Old magazines
- Vinyl letters
1. First you need to decide what you want your background to be (what will show up behind your letters). I used old magazines that I tore into different shapes and used lots of different colors. You could also use pages from an old book, song sheets, or an old painting or picture.
2. After you decide what you want to use, cover your canvas with modge podge and lay the pieces of whatever you decide for a background on the canvas. It dries pretty fast so if you are using a large canvas maybe just do small sections at a time. Once you have laid everything down where you want it then add a layer of modge podge on top as well.
3. Let the modge podge dry before you go on to the next step…it doesn’t take long to dry though.
4. Hopefully you have decided before hand what you want your canvas to say. I used Joshua 24:15 for mine. You could use your favorite quote, a verse or even just a name. You can buy vinyl letters at craft stores or even Wal-Mart. Make sure you buy the right amount of each letter though! Katie has a silhouette as you probably all know so she was kind enough to let me borrow hers to cut my letters.
5. Once you have decided what you want your canvas to say lay the letters on the canvas wherever you’d like!
6. Now for the painting! Remember when you are picking what color/colors you want this will be the majority of your canvas. I chose to do three different colors…blue, green and grey. I decided to give mine a blended almost cloudy look. But you can even do just one color and have your strokes be all in one directions for a cleaner look. It’s your artwork so whatever style you like! Make sure you cover the whole canvas…painting over the letters and don’t forget the sides of the canvas.
7. Almost done!! Let your paint dry completely before you peel your vinyl letters off. I took a blow dryer to mine to help speed the process up because I was excited to see the final product. Once it’s dry carefully peel your vinyl letters off. If you see that it is pulling paint up as well…that means you have not let the paint dry enough.
8. Because I used all different colors in my background and used three different colors of paint my letters were a little abstract looking and hard to read so I decided to outline them with a black sharpie to make them stand out a little more.
And there you have it, your own piece of artwork!! I hope you all enjoy and try your own canvas art! The possibilities are really endless for the project so you can get really creative!