Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Dresser Makeover

We have been in need of a new dresser for a while now. We have been using a hand me down from my in laws since we moved into our first apartment as newlyweds. It is a great dresser but it is really large and not the color finish I have been wanting. In preparation for our master makeover, I began hunting for a new dresser. I found one at a local thrift store for only $25 and it has been sitting in our guest room ever since.


This morning, we finally got around to painting it! I was extremely thrilled when the hubby looked at me and said, "I would like to paint this for you hunny." I was SO PUMPED! First of all, he is a great painter. He takes his time to make sure everything is perfect and doesn't speed through things like I do. Secondly, we painted our room this afternoon and I had lots to do to prep for that, so it allowed me some extra time!

Here is a before shot of the dresser...you may recognize it from my project goals post last week.

Gabe started by sanding the drawer fronts and the top and sides of the dresser...

Then he started spray painting them in the side yard...

After he finished, we went shopping for new handles. The top drawers have an abnormal size handle that our Home Depot didn't have. Since the handles seemed impossible to find and were going to be an expensive special order, I decided to try something new that I have seen on a few blogs. I decided to buy rope to make my own handles. This is an extremely cost effective solution for drawer handles and I love the natural look it gives the dresser.

I cut the rope and started wrapping the ends in tape to help put them through the screw holes where the previous handles had been. Once both ends were through, I tied knots on the inside of the drawer. It was so simple!

Take a look at the finished product...




We are loving it!!! We finished painting the room this evening and have been moving everything back in! I am hoping to show off the finished master soon!!! Here's one final before and after comparison...

No comments:

Post a Comment